Genesis 49.1-7 | The Promise Study Edition | Contemporary English Version

Jacob Blesses His Sons

49 Jacob called his sons together and said:
My sons, I am Jacob,
    your father Israel.
Come, gather around,
    as I tell your future.
Reuben, you are my oldest,
born at the peak of my powers;
    you were an honored leader.
Uncontrollable as a flood,
you slept with my wife
    and disgraced my bed.
And so you no longer deserve
    the place of honor.
Simeon and Levi,
you are brothers,
    each a gruesome sword.
I never want to take part
    in your plans or deeds.
You slaughtered people
    in your anger,
and you crippled cattle
    for no reason.
Now I place a curse on you
because of
    your fierce anger.
Your descendants
will be scattered
    among the tribes of Israel.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exodus 2.23-25 | The Promise Study Edition | Contemporary English Version

Exodus 7.3-5 | The Promise Study Edition | Contemporary English Version

Exodus 3.10-12 | The Promise Study Edition | Contemporary English Version